“What we’re doing here, we describe it sometimes as building power spaces and power places. The housing here is very impressive because it was an abandoned area, and there are very impressive, well designed buildings, but at the same time, we’re creating these power spaces where people can come together and help create the future of their neighborhoods. So it’s really the two of those things coming together that creates what Hope Community is.”
A 1920s building with a new face.
The Dundry House
In early 2002, Hope Community purchased the Dundry House, a 1920’s apartment building that provides convenient and affordable housing for very low-income single people, just as it did over 80 years ago. The Dundry House is located at 5th Avenue and 19th Street, on and adjacent to the Hope Block and just one block north of Hope Community’s headquarters at Portland and Franklin. It was completely renovated in 2005-2008.
With eighteen efficiency and seven one bedroom units, the Dundry House is an important part of Hope’s mission to ensure that current residents of the area have an opportunity to stay and succeed in the newly revitalized neighborhood. The Dundry offers critical, stable and affordable housing for long-term homeless individuals and couples.
Through a partnership with Project for Pride in Living, tenants receive the support they need to move toward stability. The full-time case manager at the Dundry refers to the Dundry as a home for “second chances” – a home that gives people the opportunity “to stay in one place long enough to take a breath and do what they need to do to have dignity and health.”